Latest Job Offer: Every second, more than 100,000 HTTP requests hit Wikimedia’s servers. In the Wikimedia Foundation’s Research team, we leverage this large-scale data to understand and empower people around the world to share in the sum of all knowledge.
As a research scientist at the Wikimedia Foundation, you will work with researchers, software engineers, designers, and volunteers to design, test and evaluate new technologies. You will produce empirical insights to inform the organization’s and the movement’s efforts towards our strategic direction—to become the platform that serves open knowledge to the world and to empower all people to access and contribute to free knowledge. You will turn research questions into publicly shared, reproducible knowledge and work with a team that is strongly committed to principles of transparency, privacy and collaboration. You will use and develop free and open source technology and collaborate with researchers in the industry and academia.
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. (WMF) is an American non-profit and charitable organization headquartered in San Francisco, California. It is mostly known for participating in the Wikimedia movement. It owns the internet domain names of most movement projects and hosts sites like Wikipedia. The foundation was founded in 2003 by Jimmy Wales as a way to fund Wikipedia and its sister projects through non-profit means
As a research scientist with our team, you will:
- Conduct research involving experimental design, labeled data collection, large-scale data analysis and data mining, statistical modeling as well as the application and online/offline evaluation of machine learning methods
- Contribute to the design, execution, and communication of research projects
- Discuss, document and share the process and results of your research publicly
- Actively engage in a collaborative, consensus-oriented environment and as part of a globally-distributed organization
- PhD or MSc degree plus related work experience in computer science, statistics, or related technical fields; PhD degree highly preferred
- Experience in Machine Learning and at least one of the following fields: Natural Language Processing, Algorithm Design, Social Network Analysis, HCI, Behavioral/ Experimental Economics, Computational Social Science
- Programming experience in Python, Scala, R, or C++
- Contributions to research communities and research initiatives including publishing in relevant conferences and journals, organizing academic workshops
THIS WILL SET YOU APART
- A portfolio of open source research or programming projects
- Relevant work experience, in academia or industry
- Experience with large-scale experiments in online platforms
- Experience with mixed methods research
- A strong record of scholarly publications
- Experience with tools such as Spark, Flink, Hive, Kafka
- Experience editing Wikipedia or other Wikimedia projects
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who wish to apply should click on this link to apply>>https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/1173279
The post LATEST JOB: Wikimedia Research Scientist Recruitment 2018 [See Details] appeared first on StudentNaija.